04/13/2011 4:40 PM ET
Jackie Robinson Day, YMCA Healthy Kids Day & First 50/50 Friday of the season highlight homestand
As the Kansas City Royals return to Kauffman Stadium for an eight-game homestand beginning April 14, the club has a number of community events planned. Below is a listing of community efforts during the upcoming homestand, highlighted by the annual Jackie Robinson Day celebration and Healthy Kids Day at The K.
Friday, April 15 - Seattle Mariners vs. Royals presented by Sprint, 7:10 p.m.
- Jackie Robinson Day - Major League Baseball and the Royals celebrate Jackie Robinson Day with a special pregame ceremony. As part of the tribute, the Royals will recognize Frank White, recipient of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum's Jackie Robinson Legacy Award for Lifetime Achievement, and Jackie Robinson Scholar alumni Montoya Lewis prior to the game.
- 50/50 Friday - 50/50 Fridays return in 2011! For every Friday home game, volunteers will sell raffle tickets from the time gates open until the end of the fifth inning. One winning ticket will be selected with the winner taking home half of the evening's net proceeds. The other half will be divided between Royals Charities and a local Kansas City charity. The American Diabetes Association will be the designated charity for Friday's fundraiser. For more information, visit www.royals.com/5050.
- Wear Blue for Kids - April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, and the Royals are partnering with area child abuse prevention organization for Wear Blue for Kids at The K. The club encourages fans to wear blue to show support in the fight against child abuse and stop by the Outfield Experience prior to the game to visit with participating organizations.
Sunday, April 17 - Seattle Mariners vs. Royals presented by Sprint, 1:10 p.m.
- YMCA Healthy Kids Day - The Royals partner with the YMCA of Greater Kansas City for the second annual YMCA Healthy Kids Day at The K. Special activities and information booths will be set up around Kauffman Stadium to promote an active, healthy lifestyle. Fans can support the YMCA through a special ticket offer, which includes a donation to the organization, by visiting www.royals.com/ymca.
- Hochevar to Host Challenger Clinic - Pitcher Luke Hochevar, local spokesperson for the YMCA of Greater Kansas City's Challenger Division baseball program, will host a private baseball lesson for four Challenger athletes at 9:45 a.m. at the U.S. Toy Little K. The Challenger Division removes the barriers that keep children with mental and physical disabilities off the baseball field by featuring a "buddy" system in which each player is paired with an able-bodied peer.
- Royals Troopers - The Royals Grounds Crew welcomes select children who have a parent deployed through the United States military efforts overseas to join them in game preparations as part of the Royals Troopers program presented by John Deere. The honored kids will help prepare the field prior to the Royals game and will receive game tickets and Royals merchandise.
Wednesday, April 20 - Cleveland Indians vs. Royals, 7:10 p.m.
- Dream Factory - Throughout the season, the Royals grant the wishes of Dream Factory children. These youngsters, who face life-altering challenges, will meet Royals players, watch batting practice from the dugout, and enjoy the game and refreshments. Their Royals experience appears on the KMBC-TV (Channel 9) 10 p.m. newscast.
Royals and 610 Sports Radio Team Up for "Royals Charities presents Royals Weekly" Radio Show
This Sunday, April 17, marks the debut of a new radio program - "Royals Charities presents Royals Weekly." The one-hour program, which is scheduled to air every Sunday at 10 a.m. throughout the season, can be heard on 610 Sports Radio, the flagship station of the Royals. The show will feature the club's community and charity efforts, highlight upcoming player appearances and provide a season-long radio tour of the Royals Hall of Fame.