9/5/2013 8:10 P.M. ET
Yost says Salvy is fine after foul ball off mask
Royals catcher exits in fifth after single, undergoes concussion tests
By Dick Kaegel and Kathleen Gier / MLB.com
KANSAS CITY -- Royals catcher Salvador Perez was removed in the fifth inning of Thursday's 7-6 walk-off victory against the Mariners shortly after being struck in the mask by a foul ball.
The club announced that he was lifted as a precautionary measure because of mild dizziness. Perez underwent concussion tests after leaving the game.
"He's fine," manager Ned Yost said. "He came in and had a little nausea and a little dizziness, but it dissipated really quickly. They gave him the SCAT test and he was an 84 out of 85. If he comes in feeling good tomorrow, he'll be ready to go."
Perez took a hard foul shot off the mask with Dustin Ackley batting in the Mariners' half of the fifth, but stayed in the game after talking to assistant trainer Kyle Turner. In the bottom half of the inning, Perez delivered an RBI single, his third hit of the game. He was looked at again while at first base and left the game.
"When he got hit, he kind of fell backwards. We went and checked him, he was fine, his eyes weren't real glazed," Yost said. "When he got the hit and got to first base, he got a little dizzy. I wasn't going to take any chances. Once you get a little dizzy, one more blow to your head could put him out for the year. He felt OK, wanted to stay in the game, but once you get a little dizziness, no."
Foul balls off his mask have plagued Perez previously this season. He was placed on the seven-day concussion disabled list on Aug. 4 after being hit by a foul ball in the 12th inning the previous night at New York in a 4-3 win over the Mets. He was reinstated on Aug. 11.
Brett Hayes ran for Perez and took over behind the plate.
Royals easing Cain slowly into full-time duties
KANSAS CITY -- Royals center fielder Lorenzo Cain was activated from the 15-day disabled list before Wednesday night's 6-4 loss to the Mariners, but manager Ned Yost said he's not quite ready for full action.
"He felt good, he passed all his tests and everything was good, and we thought if we can get in the seventh or eighth inning and we have the chance to improve the outfield defense, let's go ahead and do it [Wednesday night]," Yost said. "We just never got to the spot where we had a lead and we could do it."
Cain, who went on the disabled list on Aug. 9 with an oblique strain, was batting .261 with 25 extra-base hits and 43 RBIs through 96 games prior to the injury. Yost said Cain has hit in the cage and engaged in soft toss off the tee, but has not resumed live batting practice.
"We're still kind of shying away from the hitting aspect even though he's feeling better, he hasn't had any live hitting," Yost said. "We anticipate if we need him, we are going to use him as a pinch-runner or defense late."
Cain entered Thursday's 7-6 walk-off victory against the Mariners as a defensive substitute in the top of the eighth inning and as expected, was replaced by David Lough for the next at-bat in the the ninth.
Getz undergoes tests for possible concussion
KANSAS CITY -- Royals second baseman Chris Getz, who exited Tuesday night's game with dizziness and an upset stomach, underwent more tests for a possible concussion on Thursday.
"I'm doing better," Getz said.
Getz left the 4-3 win over the Mariners after two innings, shortly after being jarred while making a fielding play. He did not return for the third inning.
Ventura scratched from PCL playoffs start
KANSAS CITY -- Top Royals pitching prospect Yordano Ventura was pulled from his starting assignment for Triple-A Omaha in the Pacific Coast League playoffs for "undisclosed team violations."
Royals assistant general manager J.J. Picollo said that Ventura was scratched as the starter in Wednesday night's opener at Oklahoma City and wouldn't pitch in the second game either.
"He's not going to pitch [Thursday night] but we'll figure it out over time," Picollo said. "Right now, he's not going to pitch and we'll figure out when he will, and if he will."
Ventura is Kansas City's No. 2 prospect, according to MLB.com, behind another right-hander, Kyle Zimmer. Ventura had a 5-4 record and 3.74 ERA in 15 games for Omaha after being promoted from Double-A Northwest Arkansas.
Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. Kathleen Gier is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.