• Grifol begins his third year with the Royals organization and first full season as the club's Catching Coach…he was named to the position on May 29, serving as the hitting coach prior to his reassignment.
• Named KC's Major League Special Assignment Coach on May 30, 2013...took over hitting coach duties on a full-time basis on July 25, 2013...the Royals hit .260 and averaged over 4.0 runs per game after his appointment.
• Grifol joined the Royals' organization in 2013 as the hitting coach for Surprise (R), after 13 seasons in the Seattle Mariners' system.
• Served as the manager at High Desert (Class A) in 2012, leading the Mavericks to an 83-57 regular-season record.
• Previous roles with the Mariners' organization included area scout for south Florida and Puerto Rico (2000-05), manager of short-A Everett (2003-05), Coordinator of Instruction (2006-08) and Director of Minor League Operations (2008-11).
• Served as a Major League coach during the second half of the 2010 season.
• Played nine seasons in the Minor Leagues from 1991-99, spending five seasons in the Twins' organization (1991-95) and four with the Mets (1996-99)...hit .226 with 39 homers and 273 RBI in 652 Minor League games.
• Originally a sixth-round draft pick by the Minnesota Twins in the 1991 MLB Amateur Draft.
• Pedro and his wife, Ali, reside in Buckeye, Ariz....they have three daughters: Lauren, Amanda and Camila.
• Played three seasons at Florida State (1989-91), helping the Seminoles reach the College World Series in 1989 and 1991...a first-team All-American selection by the American Baseball Coaches Association and Baseball America in 1991.
• Finished his B.S. degree at Excelsior College/The University of the State of New York in 2001.
• A 1988 graduate of Christopher Columbus High School in Miami...named Florida State High School Player of the Year.
• Participated with USA Baseball National Teams in 1987 and 1989.